Author Topic: How many craters have I marked  (Read 2777 times)

JJ

How many craters have I marked
« on: November 06, 2012, 01:55:28 pm »
I can keep track of my images marked by checking here https://www.zooniverse.org/projects/current but I was wondering if there is any way I can determine how many craters I have marked? And I was also wondering, when and if what I mark, how it plays a part in the overall scheme of things data set wise.

jules

• Global Moderator
Re: How many craters have I marked
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2012, 02:36:47 pm »
I can keep track of my images marked by checking here https://www.zooniverse.org/projects/current but I was wondering if there is any way I can determine how many craters I have marked?

Not at the moment - not sure if this will be a feature of the forthcoming upgrade.

And I was also wondering, when and if what I mark, how it plays a part in the overall scheme of things data set wise.

Your crater measurements are included with those from other users to determine a "best fit" measurement for each crater. Helps build up a crater map of the Moon. The mods met up with Rob the new Moon Zoo science lead a few weeks ago. He is working on these measurements as well as the science papers which will follow.

Geoff

• Global Moderator
  • The history of astronomy is a history of receding horizons. - Hubble.
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2012, 04:12:53 pm »
The number of craters in an area also helps to age the surface - many craters = ancient surface, few craters = recent surface.

JJ

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2012, 02:32:41 am »
I am coming up on 4200 images classified, if on average I mark 12 craters that comes out to around 54000 craters marked. It would be real nice to get some feedback as to how my portion of the data plays out in the overall scheme because right now I am in the dark and torn with getting bored and yet marking is so addictive. I also wish I could select where I mark so it would break things up, I know they probably have certain areas that take precedence but a choice would be great so as to not become monotonous which is the danger of losing all interest completely. I hope the next version takes thing like this into consideration, the more users the greater the data collection. I was using CosmsoQuest Moon Mappers until I found Moon Zoo, and most of my time is spent here now, I occasionally add a few there but both are limited as to feedback. I know what I do is helpful, the question is how helpful, and without feedback I have no way of knowing what more or less I need to become proficient at to better serve the project as a whole.

jules

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2012, 11:09:56 am »
Like I said elsewhere Moon Zoo is long overdue an update. As yet we don't know which features will be added or changed in the new version but I will pass on your comments along with everyone else's to the team. I don't think we'll be able to choose an area of Moon to classify as the images are served to us from the regions Moon Zoo is currently concentrating on. The more clicks there are on a particular region - the better the science results will be. And in the end - that's what we're all doing it for!! :D