Author Topic: Crater chains  (Read 67364 times)

szukacz

Re: Crater chains
« Reply #255 on: November 16, 2012, 09:05:24 pm »
Thank you very much!
Just attach a link to a picture. Just simple.

DGlendon

« Reply #256 on: November 27, 2012, 03:20:00 am »
I know this is an old post, but I am searching thru trying to understand crater chains. To let you know, this page is no longer available.

I found this site and poked around until I found some pictures of crater chains. There are not many, but they are worth looking at. I'm still trying to educate my eye. (My brain is groggy from too much classifying :))

http://www.lpod.org/coppermine/thumbnails.php?album=47

Geoff

• Global Moderator
  • The history of astronomy is a history of receding horizons. - Hubble.
« Reply #257 on: November 27, 2012, 08:54:02 am »
I know this is an old post, but I am searching thru trying to understand crater chains. To let you know, this page is no longer available.

I found this site and poked around until I found some pictures of crater chains. There are not many, but they are worth looking at. I'm still trying to educate my eye. (My brain is groggy from too much classifying :))

http://www.lpod.org/coppermine/thumbnails.php?album=47

Not much we can do about this as it is an external site and they've obviously done some cleanup and removed images. There should be enough examples in the thread to help you understand crater chains - difficult things to find!

JJ

« Reply #258 on: November 27, 2012, 03:41:43 pm »
I would like more guidance from the Zookeepers on what constitutes a crater chain. I've seen the Davy chain, and that's pretty big.

Wikipedia says this: "Crater chains seen on the Moon often radiate from larger craters, and are thought to be either caused by secondary impacts of the larger crater's ejecta  or by volcanic venting activity along a rift."

Perhaps we should be looking for big chains, and those probably caused by ejecta near larger craters. Those will be more common. Of course we wouldn't ignore features that are interesting and suggestive. Scientists say, politely, "Don't rule anything out with preconceived notions about what something should look like." I get that. That may be why the Zoobosses are keeping quiet.

This is just sort of frustrating. I don't want to waste my time, or anyone else's.

My rant for the day. Forgive me if I offend.

These are pics of the Davy Chain spoken of in this post

JJ

« Reply #259 on: November 28, 2012, 01:47:32 am »
Here is a chain of Love

JJ

« Reply #260 on: November 28, 2012, 10:40:27 pm »
Muller chain

JJ

« Reply #261 on: November 30, 2012, 09:55:04 pm »
This chain reminds me of a curtain rod. 139km or 86mi long

szukacz

« Reply #262 on: December 01, 2012, 12:25:11 pm »
Nice collection JJ!!!

JJ

« Reply #263 on: December 01, 2012, 01:15:20 pm »
Thanks Szukacz
« Last Edit: December 02, 2012, 02:32:30 pm by JasonJason »

DGlendon

« Reply #264 on: December 02, 2012, 04:33:50 am »
I'm getting a better understanding of what I  am looking for, I just wanted to give a head's up that this page is no longer available, in case anyone is reading thru like I am.

Not much we can do about this as it is an external site and they've obviously done some cleanup and removed images. There should be enough examples in the thread to help you understand crater chains - difficult things to find!
« Last Edit: December 02, 2012, 08:20:58 am by Geoff »

jules

• Global Moderator
« Reply #265 on: December 02, 2012, 12:07:38 pm »
LPOD moved url some time ago and as far as I know the galleries did not migrate across. However, if you search the new site you get this crater chain list. Lots of examples there.

JJ

« Reply #266 on: December 03, 2012, 05:05:21 pm »
Found this I don't know if anyone has seen it before.

http://the-moon.wikispaces.com/Lunar+Catenae