Author Topic: Leaping Lunar Dust  (Read 5435 times)

jules

• Global Moderator
Leaping Lunar Dust
« on: September 05, 2013, 04:56:49 pm »
Here.
Wouldn't it be nice to find some evidence of this on a NAC?

kodemunkey

• IOTW posters
Re: Leaping Lunar Dust
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2013, 11:48:15 pm »
Can we actually look at NAC's anymore?

jules

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2013, 10:46:15 am »
To a degree via Quick Map (ie I can get down to 0.5m per pixel in some areas.)

kodemunkey

• IOTW posters
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2013, 02:03:40 pm »
so act react and wms browser aren't borked?

JFincannon

• IOTW posters
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2013, 02:42:59 pm »
On Quickmap, when you query a selected region for "all products" you get the list of NACs and WACs and with apparent links but when you click on the links you get "The page you were looking for doesn't exist."

Of course, if you are looking at the basemap, you will be able to look at it down to ".5 m/pixel".  But that is not much use since the NACs are overlaid (can't see the one below).

To look at lunar dust, I thought you could examine the oblique images, but after doing so, I think the camera is not good enough.  Really, you would likely need to look at stereo NAC images.  They use these to make the digital terrain models, which are nice since the laser can't paint the whole surface (http://wms.lroc.asu.edu/lroc/dtm_about).  The drawback is that they are not taken concurrently, but on two successive orbits.  Still, it is possible the loft time of the dust is long enough so that this does not make much difference.

I suggest examining these for lofted dust using the best stereo processing equipment available.. the eyes/mind. 

http://wms.lroc.asu.edu/lroc/dtm_select?page=1 ....  this lists the actual NAC stereo images they have processed.  Apparently there are alot of other they have not done so because it is so time consuming to do.

JFincannon

• IOTW posters
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2013, 03:41:42 pm »
It is odd, but if you look in the data directories, you can download the tiffs (well some of them, I did not check all of them!).  For instance, http://lroc.sese.asu.edu/data/LRO-L-LROC-2-EDR-V1.0/LROLRC_0006/EXTRAS/BROWSE/2011032/.  I downloaded four tiffs at random.  But, I did check the CDR directory  http://lroc.sese.asu.edu/data/LRO-L-LROC-3-CDR-V1.0/  and it does show they deleted all the tiffs there.  I guess they DID say they would delete the CDR tiffs, but for some reason I assumed they did that for the EDR ones too since they suggested us use their IRIS viewer.  It seems like it would be easy for them to change the link to the EDR tiffs since they deleted the CDR tiffs, there is little difference between them for the casual viewer.

Also, for those willing to create stereo images, they have a file in this directory for various candidate pairs.
http://lroc.sese.asu.edu/data/LRO-L-LROC-5-RDR-V1.0/LROLRC_2001/DATA/SDP/NAC_PHOTOM/
They are broken up into midlatitudes, north and south polar regions.  You can match their DTM images with these files.  The only problem is that they don't hold your hand.  Basically, for dust purposes, you will need images taken near to each other (two hours between images based on the orbit period).  But there are 13710 images to sort through for the midlatitudes, 9733 for the north pole and 8253 for the south pole, enough to keep someone busy, should they want to take on this project.

jules

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2013, 05:25:35 pm »
Thanks JF. That's some task! I've always used the EDR tiffs anyway as they play nice with my version of Photoshop.

kodemunkey

• IOTW posters
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2013, 05:55:13 pm »
so is this how we have to "do business" now?

JFincannon

• IOTW posters
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2013, 06:06:27 pm »
I guess it depends on what you mean by "business".  For my work, I like to use the tiffs with my own image viewer of choice, especially Photoshop. 

You can still use their ACT if all you want to see are their basemaps (too bad you could not select a time range of images to examine or something, but they just show you every image available with the last image on top, all overlaid).

I don't know how the Moon Zoo activities get their images (sorry I have never counter craters and such).

It is vexing, but it seems interest in this topic has died down a lot recently anyway.  At least there IS a way to get tiffs.

jules

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2013, 07:02:10 pm »
As far as I know the Moon Zoo team use EDR tiffs.

JFincannon

• IOTW posters
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2013, 07:27:51 pm »
>It is vexing, but it seems interest in this topic has died down a lot recently anyway.  At least there IS a way to get tiffs.

By "this topic" I mean lunar images in general.  It seems pretty slow in this forum (except for weird hacker advertiser attacks).

jules

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2013, 07:33:33 pm »
Yep - pretty slow right now!

kodemunkey

• IOTW posters
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2013, 08:37:09 pm »
i've been in the wars lately. The current thinking is i may have type 2 diabettes, Arthritus in one of my big toes and the wrist of my right hand and also a case of orchitus for good measure. I'll look at act react and see if i can get on with it.

jules

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2013, 10:00:11 pm »
Sorry to hear all that km. What rotten luck. :(  At least you seem to have been getting things sorted out so hopefully you'll begin to feel better soon.

kodemunkey

• IOTW posters
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2013, 10:16:30 pm »
Thanks Jules. According to act react, all the nacs have been moved?