Author Topic: Moon Base Alpha Game  (Read 6251 times)

Thornius

• Black Hole! WHAT black hoooo.....
Moon Base Alpha Game
« on: July 02, 2010, 09:25:33 pm »
Here's us a NEW pasttime, for when we get tired of looking at dusty craters......we get to PLAY on dusty craters!

http://www.nasa.gov/offices/education/programs/national/ltp/games/moonbasealpha/index.html

Thomas J

• Global Moderator
  • Do the best you can, while you can
Re: Moon Base Alpha Game
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2010, 10:02:50 pm »
That looks like fun, Thornius, thanks for the link. :)

DJ_59

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2010, 05:40:26 am »

It says it starts tomorrow, but I can't find anything that says what time.  It looks like it might be fun.  Wouldn't it be even more fun to all go there at a prearranged time and work together on the game? 

Aliko

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2010, 04:22:57 pm »
  Wouldn't it be even more fun to all go there at a prearranged time and work together on the game?

Good idea :) MZ team rules ;)

elizabeth

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2010, 07:19:48 pm »
 :o Wow this looks like fun.

DJ_59

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2010, 10:39:43 pm »

I am sooo sad.  I can't install it on my horrible computer.  It won't accept the software needed to run the game.  I had this amazing hotrod of a computer until a few months back, and it burned out badly.  Nothing much salvaged except hard drives and monitor.  My brother in law gave me a very old Dell, for which I am very grateful because I can do MZ, at least, and I can broadcast my radio show from home, as long as I don't use any fancy compression or noise gating.  But it refuses to do much else.  So I'll have to live vicariously through your stories of the game and MZ on-Moon meetups.  So please, do go into detail. 

Thornius

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2010, 03:40:28 am »
I can't get on either! :'(  I think I have the wrong type of graphics card.

DJ_59

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2010, 04:59:56 am »

Well maybe that's good news.  Maybe it means nobody can get in yet, that there are bugs. 

If anyone here has managed to get in and play that game, please say so.  We need to know if it's our cheap #!$%& equipment or something on their end.  Thanks

Geoff

• Global Moderator
  • The history of astronomy is a history of receding horizons. - Hubble.
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2010, 07:57:38 am »
The game is PC-only, Mac owners need not apply  :(

DJ_59

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2010, 09:44:15 am »

That's no good.  I have a PC (well... it wants to be one when it grows up, but it's just slightly better than an abacus, to be honest), but I feel for you. 

And I'm a little surprised that they didn't figure for Macs, considering one of the goals is to get classrooms involved and, hopefully, spark some moonmadness among the still undecideds they hope to steer toward a career in science.  Classrooms are filled with Macs.  At least most of the classrooms I've seen. 

Aliko

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2010, 08:25:01 pm »
No version for linux users either :/

DJ_59

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2010, 04:08:15 am »

Well, I got the thing to install, but I still couldn't play it.  It took 20 minutes to download the game files (which, by the way, come to over 8 gigs on your system), then another 20 or 30 to install and go through whatever hoops, then another 20 trying to connect with the actual game before it finally crashed completely.  I think it's this weak computer of mine, but I don't see anyone else here reporting success yet, so maybe it's them.

Aliko

« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2010, 06:10:41 am »
It seams like NASA doesn't want to distract us from craters  ??? :-\

Thornius

« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2010, 06:14:32 am »
NASA cracks a Space Whip over the heads of the poor Lunatics and yells, "SEARCH!  DURN YOU......SEEEAAARRRCCCHHH!"  >:( >:( >:(

DJ_59

« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2010, 04:28:28 pm »

I tried several more times this morning.  Crash, crash, crash, cr... Well, you get the idea.  I am desperate for a new computer for many reasons, and this adds one more.  Due to our lovely economy, we're low budget these days, so I'll have to sell a guitar and amp or two to afford a hotrod computer, but I'm determined.  It'd also be nice if I didn't have constant crashes while trying to work on MZ.  It's not MZ doing it, it's my wimpy computer.  Dang thing only has 1 meg of ram.  And no room for more.  You can barely run a browser on that these days.