Author Topic: THE MOON ZOO CHALLENGE! TRANSIENT LUNAR PHENOMENA - LOOKING FOR CHANGE  (Read 12725 times)

jules

• Global Moderator
We have been set a challenge! ;D

*** Please see here for more information ***

Please take some time to read Moon Zoo team member Anthony Cook's blog about TLPs and unusual / interesting surface features. He describes the kinds of textures and surface detail we should look out for.

And whether you find any counting craters, playing Boulder Wars or searching the LROC image strips or the Apollo Metric or Panoramic Camera archives - please post any candidate images here.

Please also read this PDF that Anthony has prepared describing in more detail what to look out for.

Here are some useful links to sites with information about TLPs - the final link is a PDF document:

Wikipedia TLP

Transient Lunar Phenomena Studies

National Geographic

BBC News with image

British Astronomical Association

The Lunar Observer - PDF

« Last Edit: July 16, 2010, 07:17:41 pm by jules »

Aliko

I tried to google something about TLPs, and most of it was "extraterrestrial intelligence lunar base"  rubbish, I even found one site referring to Bible  :o .
But it was also written, that there was over 300 TLPs in Aristarchus. That reminded me of landslip picture I posted in interesting terrain thread. So maybe this is one of the reasons. But I believe TLPs are artifacts and delusions. But maybe we'll find an explanation, or even a flying saucer  ;)

# ID: AMZ2000783
# Latitude: 23.8214°
# Longitude: 312.908°

jules

• Global Moderator
In his blog Anthony gives four currently accepted theories that could explain some of the TLP reports - and there is much scientific work going into studying them so I hope we can help solve the mysteries here on Moon Zoo!

DJ_59

I hope we find some examples.  I'm not entirely sure what I'm looking for yet.  But I do love a challenge!

jules

• Global Moderator
Just keep referring to the blog pictures. I do!

DJ_59

The small craters that are totally dark while neighbors aren't, now, that sounds familiar.  I think we all see that all the time (or else I've been unfathomably luckier than everyone else).  That's what I was confusing for dark haloed craters.  I understood the vent concept but thought they were always related to the dark haloes. 

Tom128

• IOTW posters
Screen size and resolution makes a huge difference in analyzing MZ photographs. Tempted to plug into my brother-in-law's 50 inch 1080 DPI big screen  :)
« Last Edit: July 09, 2010, 11:47:42 pm by Tom128 »

Thomas J

• Global Moderator
  • Do the best you can, while you can
Katy Joy has pointed out this one as a possibility

http://forum.moonzoo.org/index.php?topic=209.msg4671#msg4671

jules

• Global Moderator
Here 'tis - brought it over here to add to the collection. And we should have some more example pictures of the kinds of things to look out for soon.

Level 3 zoom

ID: AMZ1001emy
Latitude: -3.42171°
Longitude: 342.608°

Dark Halo craters or crash site?

This looks like the type of features Tony Cook wants to people to spot for his TLP / recent changes study - take a look at his blog post for more info!

DJ_59

All the terrain on the right side of the image looks very different than what we're used to seeing.  I wonder if that's a downhill grade and the color is just shade.  There's such an abrupt change from light to dark in such a large area.

jules

• Global Moderator
This is the strip if anyone wants a look - and there is a "View NAC Image →" link on the More Info Page of My Moon Zoo now. How long has that been there? :o Very useful!!! ;D ;D

Here it is:
« Last Edit: July 10, 2010, 07:25:59 pm by jules »

Tom128

• IOTW posters
Hi Jules,

Do you think it is venting from the large fresh white impact crater to the right (not shown in MZ photo strip) but is on the strip you provided?

jules

• Global Moderator
To be honest Tom I'm rather puzzled by this. I think some (but definitely not all) of the black is shadow. The My Moon Zoo link pointed to a strip with different illumination from the Moon Zoo image and this has made the feature even more intriguing.

Tom128

• IOTW posters
Geoff found this TLP candidate that was originally posted on "Interesting terrain thread", Reply #262 on: June 19, 2010, 10:34:46 am

ID: AMZ1002iug
Latitude: 16.4726°
Longitude: 46.5299°
Zoom level = 3

"The area around this image is quite interesting, looks like some upheaval has taken place.
It is on the edge of crater Proclus"

« Last Edit: July 11, 2010, 04:21:23 pm by Tom128 »

jules

• Global Moderator
Anthony has prepared a really useful PDF describing in more detail what to look out for. Please read it - you'll find it here.