Author Topic: Some newbie questions  (Read 1726 times)

David Erskine

• Retired
Some newbie questions
« on: December 10, 2013, 06:43:28 am »
Greetings.

Sometimes I click on the Bouldery button, but nothing happens. I see from the internet that the altitude of the polar lunar orbiter varies from 50 km to 216 km, so I assume that if the image is at a great altitude there is no point in enabling the Bouldery button because boulders would be invisible.

Is there a way to know where the image is on the Moon and how high it is?

I sometimes see objects which seem to be depressions because the pattern of light and shade is the same as for craters, but they do not look circular. Are these objects worn craters?

Geoff

• Global Moderator
  • The history of astronomy is a history of receding horizons. - Hubble.
Re: Some newbie questions
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2013, 09:05:44 am »
Welcome to Moon Zoo David - hope you enjoy your time here.

I think the bouldery button should always work whatever the altitude that the image was taken at.

To find out more about your image, click on the "My Moon Zoo" link from the analysis page. This will take you to another page which shows a map of the Moon and has two lists, headed "Favourites" and "Recents". The first link "Show on map" under the "Recents" heading points to the last analysis you did. If you click on this link a new page will open showing information about the image which will have the latitude and longitude of the image on the Moon. You can also explore the region by clicking on the thumb-nail image on the right of the main picture.
Do some exploring of this feature and get back to us if you have any other questions.

As far as your last question goes it would be handy to have an example to look at. If you post the id of the image I can then look at it. The id would be similar to this: ID: AMZ1003xtb and will be found following instructions above.