Author Topic: ARRIVALS (The Newbie's Thread)  (Read 80985 times)

ElisabethB

• IOTW posters
Re: ARRIVALS (The Newbie's Thread)
« Reply #30 on: August 18, 2010, 05:53:46 pm »
Hello
I am sure I simply haven't looked in the right area, but where can I find a tutorial for" My Moon Zoo". I see the astronauts holding numbered signs (golf holes?) why are there so many blue lollipops? What do the numbered signs mean.

I am sorry to be asking what has probably already been asked and answered. Thank You in advance for your help.
Hi aspringer
I don't think there is a tutorial for My Moon Zoo.
The little astronauts mark the places of the Apollo landings with their number (e.g.Apollo 14).
The blue lollipops ( ;D) mark the sites of your classifications.
Hope this helps
Welcome to the Moon !  :D

Geoff

• Global Moderator
  • The history of astronomy is a history of receding horizons. - Hubble.
« Reply #31 on: August 18, 2010, 06:44:11 pm »
Hello
I am sure I simply haven't looked in the right area, but where can I find a tutorial for" My Moon Zoo". I see the astronauts holding numbered signs (golf holes?) why are there so many blue lollipops? What do the numbered signs mean.

I am sorry to be asking what has probably already been asked and answered. Thank You in advance for your help.

Hi aspringer and welcome to the forum.

You can find some information about the "pins" in the Moon Zoo map in this thread: http://forum.moonzoo.org/index.php?topic=7.0

Ask as many questions as you like, we will try and answer them.

Thornius

• Black Hole! WHAT black hoooo.....
« Reply #32 on: August 19, 2010, 01:51:59 am »
And the blurry pins with the zig-zag poles that are leaning or have fallen over, are the locations of the "PUBS" on the Moon.

elizabeth

« Reply #33 on: September 02, 2010, 09:46:24 pm »
 :) what would these be called?

Longitude: 312.734
Latitude: 23.516

Thomas J

• Global Moderator
  • Do the best you can, while you can
« Reply #34 on: September 02, 2010, 09:55:12 pm »
Hi Elizabeth, the shadows show these features aren't raised so I would go for cracks, here.

elizabeth

« Reply #35 on: September 02, 2010, 09:56:40 pm »
 :) Thanks Tom

Josephine17

« Reply #36 on: September 04, 2010, 12:13:53 pm »
Hello, I am new here, and am looking forward to making new friends, topics such as these are so fascinating to me, I learned of this website through BBC's Click programme.
I love all things to do with astronomy, geology, vulcanology, politics, music, natural history, I hate cruelty to animals, and will put them first before morons who have the audacity to call themselves human, animals are my biggest love and I took this to the next level and became a strict vegetarian 20 years ago, I am not one of those who is critical of meat eaters, I respect that we all have a right to choose, I have friends who eat meat, I just don't want to be a meat eater, I suppose I am almost vegan, as I avoid dairy products, and don't like eggs, I am always looking at food labels, just to be sure I do not have anything remotely animal in origin, or derived from animals, and have made sure I learn a lot about this, e numbers and other such things.
Anyway, all for now, chat soon.

Farewell

« Reply #37 on: September 04, 2010, 11:06:17 pm »
Hello... I was also dragged in by Click, and have found this image and am not sure about the boulder-like thing... help?

Thomas J

• Global Moderator
« Reply #38 on: September 05, 2010, 07:35:57 am »
Hi Josephene, welcome to the forum.

It's great to have you onboard and I hope you enjoy the Moon Zo project.

Thomas  :)

Thomas J

• Global Moderator
« Reply #39 on: September 05, 2010, 07:42:54 am »
Hello... I was also dragged in by Click, and have found this image and am not sure about the boulder-like thing... help?

Hi Farewell, welcome to the Moon Zoo forum.

What you have there is the Apollo 14 Lunar Module.

Well spotted!!

LT_Jones

• Loves Gaming & Ancient History.
« Reply #40 on: September 05, 2010, 04:27:24 pm »
Hi there,

Newbie here, I've done a handful, not sure if someone wants to check them for correctness never did this kinda thing before, but one of the Pics was nothing but static on it, not sure if it was the loading process and that's how NASA got the image back from space lol.

Anyway great to be here making a little contribution :)

LTJ

Geoff

• Global Moderator
  • The history of astronomy is a history of receding horizons. - Hubble.
« Reply #41 on: September 05, 2010, 07:53:26 pm »
Hi LTJ and welcome aboard Moon Zoo!

Some of the images that are sent out to users are blank or show no useful information. We have a thread to collect these errant entries and the Zookeepers would like people to post the reference numbers of these in the Blank Images thread:  http://forum.moonzoo.org/index.php?topic=88.0

Hope you enjoy your time here - if you get stuck with anything just ask and we'll try and help.

Thomas J

• Global Moderator
« Reply #42 on: September 05, 2010, 09:11:20 pm »
Hi, LTJ, welcome to the forum. It's good to have you onboard.

LT_Jones

• Loves Gaming & Ancient History.
« Reply #43 on: September 05, 2010, 09:46:54 pm »
Thanx 4 the welcome guys, I'll post anymore blank images I come across in the right place. I was unsure with the second lots of photos I did, some of the indentations for lack of a better word looked like older craters or depressions in the surface I wasn't sure whether they were or not so I marked them anyway, sorry, just wanna get things straightened out before I continue. Anywhere I can look at examples of features that may be craters but aren't?

jules

• Global Moderator
« Reply #44 on: September 05, 2010, 10:38:20 pm »
Welcome LT - glad you're enjoying Moon Zoo! :)
Well - there's the tutorial but you'll have already seen that. You will certainly come across older craters and we should measure these too where possible. Some craters have degenerated so much that it's hard to find the boundaries but there are plenty of old craters that can be marked.

Don't spend time worrying over whether to measure a crater or not though - if you have to think about it for more than a few seconds it's probably not worth it! :)