Author Topic: TLP Project - Boulder Repellent  (Read 43255 times)

JFincannon

• IOTW posters
Re: TLP Project - Boulder Repellent
« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2011, 06:18:37 pm »
I came across this crater that might match the boulder repellent criteria.
M135263272RC: crater center is 1000 pixels from the left, 39570 pixels from the top.

jules

• Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2011, 07:08:09 pm »
Nice find JFincannon! 8) 8)

JFincannon

• IOTW posters
« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2011, 08:51:52 pm »
M135644141LC, crater center at 2084 pixels from left, 28472 pixels from top.

Thomas J

• Global Moderator
  • Do the best you can, while you can
« Reply #33 on: February 19, 2011, 04:00:08 pm »
Well spotted, and welcome to the forum :)

JFincannon

• IOTW posters
« Reply #34 on: February 19, 2011, 04:21:27 pm »
Glad to help!
M136009636RC, 3868 pixels from left, 31975 pixels from right

JFincannon

• IOTW posters
« Reply #35 on: February 23, 2011, 04:15:56 pm »
M137727670R, 1689 pixels from the left, 851 pixels from the top.

xitehtnis

« Reply #36 on: March 10, 2011, 05:37:35 am »
So I'm at LPSC and went to a bunch of talks on MoonZoo the other day and heard geomorphologists are in need.  So far I'm 3 pages into this page and see little explanation of what might cause these features.  My work concerns boulder clustering on patterned ground terrains on Mars.

With that said I'm very interested in boulder scale processes.

Craters with boulder barren centers are also common on Mars.  Here are various hypotheses.

The reason for this is different depending on the age of the crater and the environment of the crater.  For fresh craters, some amount of melt is generated in the course of an impact that takes diffusivity dependent cooling timescales for different depths of melt (which scales to crater size) (see Melosh, 1989).  For highly degraded craters it is likely the regolith has all been broken up to pieces beyond the limit of resolution due to impact gardening (very small impactors break up boulders and generally resurface the moon at small scales) (sorry, don't have a reference for you at the moment).  For craters in the middle there could be a wide array of things going on.  My preferred hypothesis comes from previous studies I worked on regarding glacial moraines.  Basically, the idea is that fine particles are more easily mobilized during any erosive process.  Since most erosive processes are gravity driven and craters generate slopes you would expect small particles to migrate to the lows in slopes while leaving the large particles (boulders) behind (check out Putkonen, Connolly, and Orloff 200?). 

I'm sure there are numerous other hypotheses but here's what I'm thinking of sitting in the hotel.

jules

• Global Moderator
« Reply #37 on: March 10, 2011, 10:31:21 am »
Many thanks for the explanations xitehtnis and thanks for joining the forum. The mods on this forum are citizen scientists - and learning fast (from posts like yours!) - so science input like this is very welcome indeed.

xitehtnis

« Reply #38 on: March 22, 2011, 04:32:43 pm »
Here is a link to a .pdf abstract from this past LPSC about this very question.

http://www.lpi.usra.edu/meetings/lpsc2011/pdf/2033.pdf

jules

• Global Moderator
« Reply #39 on: March 22, 2011, 06:56:18 pm »
Just read that - thanks for posting the link. Would it be worth starting a thread to collect evidence of impact melt pools in small craters found on Moon Zoo (or NAC image searches)?

JFincannon

• IOTW posters
« Reply #40 on: March 29, 2011, 07:44:14 pm »
Another boulder repellent case
M124028184L, 2697 pixels from left and 11993 pixels from the top.

JFincannon

• IOTW posters
« Reply #41 on: March 29, 2011, 07:48:40 pm »
Boulder repellent image
M124028184R, 2467 pixels from left, 51539 pixels from top.

xitehtnis

« Reply #42 on: April 03, 2011, 03:31:43 pm »
I would think so.  As you could see in the abstract a number of the user-submitted pictures are of more superior quality. But it depends on if someone will do something with it.  I myself am unable to start really looking at this until I'm done with my current research. Very interesting though. The community could just keep posting here. Impact Melt Pools would definitely be a more accurate title for the thread.

I think the science of impact melt pools is pretty thorough on a conceptual level. It may be possible to figure out something about these pools in different places on the Moon. For example, how do impact melt pools in the lunar highlands compare to those in lunar mare? or why are small craters more likely than large craters to display significant melt pools? these questions won't be answered without a large catalog of example craters.

Just read that - thanks for posting the link. Would it be worth starting a thread to collect evidence of impact melt pools in small craters found on Moon Zoo (or NAC image searches)?

astrostu

« Reply #43 on: April 04, 2011, 05:36:40 am »
I would think so.  As you could see in the abstract a number of the user-submitted pictures are of more superior quality. But it depends on if someone will do something with it.  I myself am unable to start really looking at this until I'm done with my current research. Very interesting though. The community could just keep posting here. Impact Melt Pools would definitely be a more accurate title for the thread.

I think the science of impact melt pools is pretty thorough on a conceptual level. It may be possible to figure out something about these pools in different places on the Moon. For example, how do impact melt pools in the lunar highlands compare to those in lunar mare? or why are small craters more likely than large craters to display significant melt pools? these questions won't be answered without a large catalog of example craters.

Separate thread may be good.  I know that there are plans in the works for there to be at least one person generally culling the posts for items of interest to merge into a single list for the team.

jules

• Global Moderator
« Reply #44 on: April 04, 2011, 10:46:27 am »
So let me get this straight - this is a thread suggested by Tony Cook on "cleared" areas in bouldery craters.  Do we need a separate thread for impact melt in any craters ro just in small craters?