Author Topic: Silly Research Project Ideas  (Read 7647 times)

Alice

Silly Research Project Ideas
« on: March 25, 2010, 12:22:57 am »
If you were paid to think up and design silly research projects, what research projects would you do? What would you like to find out?

Often, when I'm spending the day travelling between Pembrokeshire and London, I want to know what would happen if, for a day, they turned off all those stupid announcements about "Please remember to take your personal belongings with you." I want to know if there would be a statistically significant amount more lost property. And I'd also like to know what happens to any impersonal belongings.

;D

Infinity

Re: Silly Research Project Ideas
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2010, 12:44:01 am »
I want to know the negative impact of speed bumps. Lets face it white vans don't slow down for them. And they add to pollution as cars stop and start. which means more fuel is used and more noise generated. My research would seek to establish; how many accidents have been caused by people looking at the humps rather than what goes on around them, and if they removed all the humps, could all that tarmac fill in all the potholes that have appeared on our roads?

Alice

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2010, 12:50:46 am »
I love that idea! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

lpspieler

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2010, 05:50:43 pm »
Something more lunatic: Quantum theoretically (or downright practically) speaking: What are the chances of the moon really disappearing while nobody looks? Well this holds the potential of being tested practically, but the required cooperation of about 0.5 mankinds probably makes this experiment prohibitively expensive.

Infinity

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2010, 12:17:22 pm »
That is very tragic.

Alice

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2010, 04:27:34 pm »
Really sorry to read that Aida. :'(

Thomas J

• Global Moderator
  • Do the best you can, while you can
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2010, 08:25:09 pm »
I want to know the negative impact of speed bumps. Lets face it white vans don't slow down for them. And they add to pollution as cars stop and start. which means more fuel is used and more noise generated. My research would seek to establish; how many accidents have been caused by people looking at the humps rather than what goes on around them, and if they removed all the humps, could all that tarmac fill in all the potholes that have appeared on our roads?
I think it's better now they've stopped using sleeping policemen. I always thought that a bit unfair on the boys in blue.

Alice

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2010, 11:59:02 am »
 :D :D :D

Deanimation

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2010, 08:48:38 pm »
I would like to undertake paid research into how many research projects I could get paid to do.  ???

Lovethetropics

• I hunt Irregular galaxies And Hyper-Velocity Stars
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2010, 03:36:45 am »
I think it's better now they've stopped using sleeping policemen. I always thought that a bit unfair on the boys in blue.

LOL We use "lying down policemen" and in Puerto Rico they use "dead" for those bumps.  My husband was driving one night in the Dominican Republic with my mother and I (that was before marrying)and my mother and I screamed at the same time "POLICEMAN LYING DOWN"!!!
and my husband stopped the car to see where that policeman was.  It was hilarious!
We were laughing so hard we couldn't explain the name to him...;D
« Last Edit: May 26, 2010, 03:38:40 am by Lovethetropics »

Thomas J

• Global Moderator
  • Do the best you can, while you can
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2010, 06:56:44 pm »

LOL We use "lying down policemen" and in Puerto Rico they use "dead" for those bumps.  My husband was driving one night in the Dominican Republic with my mother and I (that was before marrying)and my mother and I screamed at the same time "POLICEMAN LYING DOWN"!!!
and my husband stopped the car to see where that policeman was.  It was hilarious!
We were laughing so hard we couldn't explain the name to him...;D

:D :D :D

DJ_59

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2010, 09:25:06 am »

I would like to study the disparity in driving habits of teenagers when parents are no longer in the car as compared to when they are in the car.  I would charge the cost of this study to the taxpayers, then make all the grounded teenagers pay them back through community service, none of which would involve them getting behind a wheel.  I don't know how loud the outcry from taxpayers would be, though I suspect the large number of taxpayers with teenaged children would glady fork over the dough.