Author Topic: Shift of Moon axis?  (Read 3693 times)

moony-moony-moonbeam

Shift of Moon axis?
« on: January 12, 2014, 07:21:08 am »
Hello, I am a new 'moonbeamer' here, and came across something rather interesting, which may be true, or not, hence I am asking anyone here to enlighten me.
On the 21st of December 2013, I was shown a photo of the Moon which suggested either the Moon was 45 degrees off its axis, or, the Earth was 45 degrees off its access.
Has anyone here noticed this peculiar event?
Taking the stance that had the Earth moved off its axis that far, everyone would have noticed, I have presumed that that has not happened, but, is it normal for the Moon to tilt its axis so far, if in fact it had done so?
cheers, and please be patient with me, I am new to all this... :)

Geoff

• Global Moderator
  • The history of astronomy is a history of receding horizons. - Hubble.
Re: Shift of Moon axis?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2014, 07:53:53 am »
As far as I know neither the Moon nor the Earth has changed their axis - if this had happened there would have been many articles and news-stories in the press and scientific literature.

Do you have any references or links to support this event?

moony-moony-moonbeam

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2014, 02:36:03 pm »
Hi Geoff,
thank you for replying. I too wondered how such an event could go unreported, but, you never  know!
I came across it in this guy's response to that weird crop circle appearance in California that the company NVIDIA claimed to have hoaxed.
This guy still analysed it, and found code within it, I won't go on about that, however, he posted up a comparison of the Moon,
as it should appear at the relevant time/date, then put up a shot of it on that particular night, showing the orientation was skewed.
Anyway, here is the link, his rant about it comes on early, the title of the clip is The Unfinished Project - Part 2 of the Chualar Farm;
This is the link;  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdViFXmVIBU
Let me know what you think, and if there is a way to varify his claim independantly, maybe other sites have shots of the Moon's orientation on that night?
cheers, justin

jules

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2014, 02:36:20 pm »
Welcome to Moon Zoo! Could this have been an uncorrected image taken through a telescope? It's quite possible that an "upside down", mirrored or rotated Moon might just have been due to how it was transferred from camera to computer.

Ah -  you just beat me and I've just seen your link. I'll have a look.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2014, 02:37:59 pm by jules »

jules

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2014, 03:12:50 pm »
Oh dear! I gave up after just 2 minutes of that video as what I saw shows a complete misunderstanding of how the Moon's path across the sky appears to us on Earth. As the Moon moves from moonrise to moonset it appears to tilt from our viewpoint. The moon phase charts always show the Moon as it appears at it's highest point in the sky for that day/night. Have a look here. It's quite a nice animation which shows this very well. You can change the settings to alter the phase of the Moon too.

moony-moony-moonbeam

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2014, 07:55:28 am »
Jules, thanks so much for taking the time to reply  :D
I didn't think it had moved so much, plus that guy appears as quite a crank!
However, I do know the Earth moved, momentarily I expect, about 2 degrees on its axis when that huge seabed Asian quake hit. I was staggered that it could do this!

So, taking that into account, it seems possible that hapgood's Theory may hold weight, as Einstein stated apparently. If that is true, then, well...we won't notice it for long!

cheers and thanks for the link, oh, and one or two other questions; how come the moon only shows one side to us, and, my dad was an exploration geologist, and I remember him being amazed that, after NASA dropped a booster rocket (I think it was) on the surface, an experiment to determine the density of the Moon, the seismographs on the Moon's surface recorded the event, when it hit, and the ensuing echo/wave through the moon's crust, that echo wave lasted for nearly four hours. Dad told me this could only mean one thing, the moon is hollow!! Was he right about that?
cheers justin

kodemunkey

• IOTW posters
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2014, 12:30:31 pm »
1: The moon is not hollow
2: The Moon is tidally locked to Earth, so we see only one side of it.

moony-moony-moonbeam

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2014, 01:04:24 am »
Thanks for replying, but, how do you explain the phenomenon of the 'echo" or reverberation from impact on the Moon's surface lasting nearly four hours? If the Moon was solid, that would be unlikely, however, there may be another explanation, are you aware of one?

Geoff

• Global Moderator
  • The history of astronomy is a history of receding horizons. - Hubble.
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2014, 09:20:10 am »
The following article talks about the impact of the Apollo 12 booster and says:
One unexpected result came from the seismic experiment recording the impact of Intrepid on the surface after we had jettisoned it. The entire Moon rang like a gong, vibrating and resonating for almost on hour after the impact. The best guess was that the Moon was composed of rubble a lot deeper below its surface than anybody had assumed. The internal structure, being fractured instead of a solid mass, could bounce the seismic energy from piece to piece for quite a while.

Apollo Expeditions to the Moon - Chapter 12

Apollo Expeditions to the Moon - Contents