Author Topic: Moon Songs  (Read 15919 times)

DJ_59

Re: Moon Songs
« Reply #45 on: May 28, 2010, 11:44:20 pm »
I LOVE Van Morrison,  His Moondance is one of my all time favorite songs.

The entire album is amazing. "Into The Mystic" is my favorite.  Love Camel, too.  Andy Latimer's guitar sound is very dreamlike.  Perfect for MZ.

Here are a few from one of my WinAmp playlists just for surfin' the Moon here at MZ.  If anyone would like the list of all 83 songs, send me a private message.  I don't want to post the whole list and ruin the fun.

Blue Oyster Cult - Moon Crazy
Rolling Stones - Moonlight Mile
Jimi Hendrix - Moon, Turn The Tides... Gently Gently Away
Mermen - Pull Of The Moon
Thin Lizzy - Dancing In The Moonlight (It's Got Me In Its Spotlight)
King Harvest - Dancing In The Moonlight
Ramones - Howling At The Moon (Sha-La-La)
Doors - Moonlight Drive
The Orioles - I'd Rather Have You Under The Moon
Legendary Pink Dots - One for the Pearl Moon

Tsering

• Runs on Rooibos
« Reply #46 on: June 07, 2010, 11:18:07 pm »
Song to the Moon - an aria from Dvořák's "Rusalka" - very beautiful!

Thornius

• Black Hole! WHAT black hoooo.....
« Reply #47 on: June 07, 2010, 11:58:07 pm »
Song to the Moon - an aria from Dvořák's "Rusalka" - very beautiful!

Haven't heard that one, Tsering.  Will add it to my collection.

DJ_59

« Reply #48 on: June 08, 2010, 04:45:12 am »

Ooo, had it in my collection and had never gotten around to listening to it yet.  Beautiful!  Perfect for what we do.  Thanks, Tsering.

You know, there are several different genres of music that are perfect for this depending on your mood of the moment.  It'd be nice to build some playlists on that theory.  I hadn't really given much thought to classical yet, but it suddenly makes perfect sense.  Me, I prefer chamber music.  In fact, a lone piano can be perfect for Mooncruising.  But classical, in general, and especially more ethereal classical, would all be good.  Any suggestions for a playlist of classical would be greatly appreciated.  I'm getting bored with my Pink Floyd/Moody Blues/Ozric Tentacles/Etc playlist.  Great stuff, but variation would be nice.

A friend of mine said he'd play nothing but death metal if he was doing this.  I can't even imagine that, but to each his own.

Thornius

« Reply #49 on: June 08, 2010, 07:25:45 am »
Death Metal?  Ah, the Moon.  She is a HARSH Mistress!

DJ_59

« Reply #50 on: June 08, 2010, 07:48:21 am »

Rockanroll!  (Why isn't there an emoticon for the secret devil sign?!?)

I dunno, at 51 I still love classic heavy metal, but for me it'd be a real buzz kill when I'm crater hopping.  Well, maybe the more ethereal Sabbath tracks would work, but I can't think of a single Maiden or Priest tune that'd do it for me.

Thornius

« Reply #51 on: June 08, 2010, 01:51:48 pm »
Here's a video I just found that BLEW ME AWAY! :o  This is relative to my interests in Astronomy.

http://www.contactmusic.com/videos.nsf/stream/pantera-planet-caravan

DJ_59

« Reply #52 on: June 08, 2010, 06:14:49 pm »

Whoa, that was excellent.  I didn't know they did a cover of that.  Mesmerizing graphics in that video, too.  Funny, but that was one of the Sabbath songs I had in mind when I said some of the more ethereal Sabbath might work.  I like the subdued vocals on the original better, but this was a very faithful cover.  The only thing that really went off on its own was the guitar solo.  Loved the little descending jazz riff.  Thanks for posting that.

Aliko

« Reply #53 on: June 15, 2010, 06:23:32 am »
Wolf Moon - Type O Negative
Moonchild - Iron Maiden
Moonlapse Vertigo - Opeth

elizabeth

« Reply #54 on: June 15, 2010, 06:32:15 am »
Wolf Moon - Type O Negative
Moonchild - Iron Maiden
Moonlapse Vertigo - Opeth
:D Ok I think I will have to ask my Son to find these for me. I am sure he has heard of them. I am going to ask him NOW. ;D

DJ_59

« Reply #55 on: July 07, 2010, 09:41:43 am »

I've been listening to Mazzy Star tonight while crater hopping.  I hadn't thought about their music as being good for that before, but it happened to be on when I did my usual "quick stop on MZ for one or two images" that, as usual, turned into hours.  So three Mazzy albums (I think that's all they made) in shuffle, and it's been dreamy and surreal.  Highly recommended.  Scanning over the stark beauty of dark hillsides covered with beautiful boulders while "All Your Sisters" is playing, that's quite nice.