Author Topic: FORUM MEMBERS SANDBOX  (Read 12258 times)

jules

• Global Moderator
FORUM MEMBERS SANDBOX
« on: September 06, 2010, 12:20:53 pm »
We thought it might be useful for you to have somewhere to try things out rather than risk posting something new or complicated "live." So please use this thread to get to grips with posting on the Forum. Some of the things you might want to practice are listed below. If you're not sure how to do something and it's not mentioned here then just PM a moderator or leave a message in this thread and we'll add instructions to the first post.

Don't forget that you can always click "quote" (orange link top right of each post) to quote this (or any other) post to see the code and then click your browser back button once you have seen how the code is written.

How to post a picture:

How to post a smaller picture:

Click "quote" to see the code for the following effects:

Neat Links

Different text Colours

Different font sizes

Smilies (emoticons) - just click from the list above the message box.  :) ;) ;D :o

When you "Reply" to a post scroll down and you will see previous posts below the message box you type in. There is an  "Insert Quote" option at the top right of each message which allows you to quote another member's message within your own message.

If you need help with the "code" used when posting, click on the Help link (next to the Home link at the top) and then use the Posting Basics pulldown menu to select Bulletin Board Code

If you have the "Use sidebar menus..." option selected in your profile, then the Bulletin Board Code link will be on the left-hand side of the page (instead of being in the pulldown menu).

The Bulletin Board Code page has examples of all the codes that you can use when posting.

Mosaics

You might have seen some of the mosaics that forum members have posted of areas of interest and wondered how they find all the images. Here's how. From My Moon Zoo pick one of your favourites / recents and click on "View More Information". You can then post the image you have by right clicking and following the usual instructions. If you hover your mouse top, bottom, right or left you will see an arrow pop up. Click on this to see the adjacent image and right click to get the url in the same way. Collect as many as you like this way and post them in the right order (that's the tricky bit!) and you get a mosaic. You can either use a table or just place img tags next to each other like this:

[.img]http://moonzoo.s3.amazonaws.com/v10/slices/000323405.jpg[/img][.img]http://moonzoo.s3.amazonaws.com/v10/slices/000323547.jpg[/img]
[.img]http://moonzoo.s3.amazonaws.com/v10/slices/000323406.jpg[/img][.img]http://moonzoo.s3.amazonaws.com/v10/slices/000323548.jpg[/img]

Ignore the added "." in the img tags - that's just so the code shows up rather than the images. :)

This is what you get:

If you want smaller images just add a size to the img tag eg
[.img height=200]http://moonzoo.s3.amazonaws.com/v10/slices/000323405.jpg[/img]
You need only specify height or width. The other measurement is calculated proportionately.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2010, 08:58:52 pm by jules »

Tom128

• IOTW posters
Re: FORUM MEMBERS SANDBOX
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2010, 09:56:12 pm »
Jules,

This is really helpful. Thanks for putting it together for us perpetual newbies  :)

Tom

DJ_59

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2010, 06:18:20 pm »

Perpetual newbies.  Yes.  Yeeeesss... that's very accurate.  That is just what we are.  Soon as we think we've got a handle on it all, we find out there are other angles we missed.  Thank God, because that keeps it pretty interesting.

Astrospade

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2010, 10:38:28 pm »
Could this be a possible crash site

ID: AMZ1001yfa
Latitude: -86.8111°
Longitude: 270.889°
Sun Angle: -3.70°
Scale: 1.32 meters / pixel
Zoom Level: 3   (Out / In)

0suspectedof

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2010, 07:56:24 am »
New BEEs))))))))

Voldemort

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2011, 03:21:35 pm »
Hi i'm a noob.

Thomas J

• Global Moderator
  • Do the best you can, while you can
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2011, 05:47:21 pm »
Hi i'm a noob.
Hi Voldemort, welcome to the Moon Zoo forum. How are you finding the project?

you can find me over here in the newbies thread if you have any questions or need a little help... http://forum.moonzoo.org/index.php?topic=248.0

Thomas  :)

leadzumba

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2011, 04:32:36 pm »
I had read your last thread and I found out a lots of questions there. Anyways, you did a great job to welcome us here. ;D

JFincannon

• IOTW posters
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2011, 05:50:33 pm »
Newbie test post

JFincannon

• IOTW posters
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2011, 05:54:15 pm »
To non-newbies,
Was the method I posted the image acceptable (i.e. using the attachment method).  I notice this is not done too much.

ElisabethB

• IOTW posters
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2011, 06:10:43 pm »
Hi Jfincannon
Here you can find more info on posting images.
Welcome to  MoonZoo !  :D

jules

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2011, 07:04:07 pm »
And if you get stuck just shout! Welcome to Moon Zoo JFincannon - glad you found us! ;D

jules

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2011, 11:08:45 pm »
<cough>

Having fun?

;D ;D ;D ;D

Charming Antimony

« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2011, 11:48:56 pm »
Just looking around... Thanks for all the newbie help.

jules

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2011, 02:49:02 pm »
Welcome to the forum Charming Antimony - just shout if you need anything! :)