Author Topic: Picnic in Greenwich Park - Sunday 20th July 2014  (Read 892 times)

JohnF

Picnic in Greenwich Park - Sunday 20th July 2014
« on: July 13, 2014, 01:07:54 pm »
Details here (& here - http://www.galaxyzooforum.org/index.php?topic=281720.0)

From Quentin Stanley (Organiser of the RAS Annual Picnic)
===================================================================
Dear All,

In just over a week it will be…

Sunday 20th July 2014 which has a double celebration – Not only is it 45 years since the Apollo 11 Lunar Landing Module landed on the Moon, but 25 years of the RAS Annual Picnic.  It is hard to believe that it was just 20 years after man landed on the moon, that we started to celebrate the activities of the Royal Astronomical Society with a Summer picnic!

The picnic venue is, fittingly, near the Old Royal Observatory Greenwich.  Please meet by the Wolfe Statue at 12:30. If later, please look due East from the Statue to see the RAS Pennant flying over the picnic spot.

There is a Webpage for the RAS Picnic – www.ras.org.uk/picnic - which will be updated during the coming week.

Please bring along something suitably fizzy – it would be great to start the day with a suitable blast of ‘popping corks’!

For the après picnic this year, the rockets will be bigger and the endeavours bolder!

If you have anything ‘rocketry’ or airborne – please bring it along, as we hope to have a flying feast at nearby Blackheath to wind up the day of celebrations.

Fellows, Friends, Family and guests are all very welcome to attend, so please feel free to pass this message on.

Please let me know if you are coming so I can keep an eye on numbers and to ensure that any stragglers are made welcome.

I wish you all well and a safe journey,

Q.

PS:  Some of you may have heard about the intended reallocation of the Harrie Massey Lecture Theatre to the Performing Arts at UCL. Although some may see this as reasonable, it would leave UCL without a suitable lecture theatre within the Physics and Astronomy Department. As a leading University, I personally find this quite astounding.  I am pleased to say that Candice Mansell has set up a partition which I would encourage you to read and sign in opposition to this reallocation.  Full details are available at:

http://www.change.org/en-GB/petitions/ucl-prevent-relocation-of-the-uclu-student-theatre-to-the-harrie-massey-lt.