Author Topic: Hello from a new Zooniverse staff guy!  (Read 1871 times)

DZM

• Zooniverse Community Staff
Hello from a new Zooniverse staff guy!
« on: October 09, 2014, 06:42:58 pm »
Hello, Zooites of Moon Zoo!

My name is Darren--DZM here on the Moon Zoo forum--and I've just joined the Zooniverse team. I'm working on several projects here at Zooniverse HQ, but one of my key roles will be staying around these boards as often as possible, looking for any ways in which I can help out. So I'm always interested in hearing from you--questions, concerns, ideas, anything!

I don't have any professional background in astronomy or science, but I'm excited to learn more from all of you who have been doing this Moon Zoo thing for a while now! It's awesome to see that the project has been so successful, and I hope that I can do my part to make sure that it remains so!

Anyway, I'll be poking around the forums... If there's anything that you think the new guy should know right off the bat, please share, and feel free to ask anything about me as well.

See you around!  :)

DZM

Geoff

• Global Moderator
  • The history of astronomy is a history of receding horizons. - Hubble.
Re: Hello from a new Zooniverse staff guy!
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2014, 07:19:32 am »
Good to see you here Darren and hope you can improve the Talk system by including the good bits from the "old" forum software.

When I logon to this forum I can see immediately if there are any new posts because the threads having new items are highlighted. On Talk it's not so easy but it is getting better.

If I think of anything else I'd like changed/added/fixed in Talk I'll add it to this post.

DZM

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2014, 12:22:07 pm »
Hello Geoff! Yes, the ability to quickly view the newest content is a major goal for me, especially the newest replies to stuff that a person him/herself has posted.

I personally really like this type of forum, but I understand its limitations as far as Zooniverse projects go, so I'm definitely working to try to integrate it with the advantages of Talk. No reason that we shouldn't be able to have the best of both worlds. For science! :-)

Thanks for the suggestion!

jules

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2014, 02:24:23 pm »
Welcome again from me Darren! I know this has been mentioned in several places already but I think that the colours of Talk put people off, Blue and grey are cold, unwelcoming colours and blue on grey is not easy to read. One thing I do like about Talk is the "recents" feature - and collections - but I assume they will stay. :)

DZM

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2014, 02:34:32 pm »
I've been hit with this comment by pretty much everyone, so right off the bat I'm going to get at the very least the link color changed so that it's more legible. :-)

Thank you!!

DZM

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2014, 03:36:03 pm »
If anyone would like to know a bit more about me and my role, there's a new Zooniverse blog post up from Chris Lintott introducing me.

Feel free to check it out, and I'm happy to answer any additional questions that you might have! :-)