Author Topic: Original Nasa Apollo missions footage?  (Read 3494 times)

filminco

Original Nasa Apollo missions footage?
« on: November 28, 2014, 03:56:18 pm »
Greetings, first post. Apologies if this is answered elsewhere:

1. Where can one obtain - for purchase if need be - the original TV video footage for the Apollo missions. I am familiar with the Lunar Journals. I understand the folks who made those also digitized those files. What reference tapes did they work from and where can a person obtain those original tapes? It seems the footage that always starts with the blue screen info page is the original source. Im trying to get an entire collection of original footage. I dont see an option at nasa site. And not just the footage broadcast on TV but rather all the footage taken by the TV cameras.

2. Did the lunar journal folks edit the video image footage in any way or are those considered an exact digital copy of the original? I know they cut the footage into small files, but did they use video coloring or contrast, size, gamma, tint, etc to change the image in any way?
« Last Edit: November 28, 2014, 04:00:09 pm by filminco »

jules

• Global Moderator
Re: Original Nasa Apollo missions footage?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2014, 02:18:22 pm »
Hi  filminco - welcome and thanks for posting.  I don't know the answers to your questions but there might be someone on here who can help. Just wondered if you had tried e-mailing the Apollo Lunar Surface Journal people? There are some e-mail addresses via links on their home page. Might be worth a shot.

JFincannon

• IOTW posters
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2014, 05:09:59 pm »
As nice as the ALSJ is, these are not all the videos and I would not be sure about the quality standards.

If you want the "originals", you will have to go and request them at JSC.  I do not know how much that costs.  I would think to request every film might not be free.

These are at the NASA Johnson Space Center Video Repository.....

APOLLO MISSION DOWNLINK TELEVISION KINESCOPES 
Film-to-video transfers of kinescopes filmed from downlink television recorded during Apollo missions 10 through 17.

APOLLO MISSION DOWNLINK TELEVISION (14-17 ONLY) 
Television downlink recorded during Apollo missions 14 through 17. Video recordings are masters color converted from 2nd generation field sequential video. The original 2 inch videotapes were recorded by JSC's communications group. 

APOLLO MISSION LAUNCH DOCUMENTATION   Primary video and film documentation of Apollo mission launches.

APOLLO MISSION ONBOARD FILM TRANSFERS   Film-to-video transfers of 16mm film shot during Apollo missions.   

APOLLO MISSION SPLASHDOWN AND RECOVERY DOCUMENTATION   Primary video and film documentation of Apollo mission splashdown and recovery activities.   

These are a mix of HDTV, Digital Betacam and DVD and some format called D2.

APOLLO MISSION FLIGHT CONTROL LOOP AUDIO   Digital audio wave files transferred from reel-to-reel audio tapes submitted by Jack Garmon to the JSC Information Resources Directorate (IRD) for processing. Includes flight control loop audio and air to ground transmissions during key events from Apollo 11, 12, and 13.   

Human Spaceflight video or images (including Shuttle) can be requested at the Media Resource Center (MRC). I have been told that Mike Gentry is good first point of contact: g.m.gentry@nasa.gov

Some already digitized video/film is at a NASA site called Imagery Online which would have to be accessed via MRC.

But I have found a more convienent source to be http://www.spacecraftfilms.com/, they have done the legwork already.  Perhaps not all video are included in their DVDs... its hard to say, they claim it is complete, but one must check this somehow and I have not done so.

filminco

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2014, 05:59:19 pm »
Thank you so much, JF. Your reply is exactly what I was looking for.
Definitely came to the right place!  Im very grateful for the assistance. 

jules

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2014, 08:13:43 pm »
Thanks for stepping in JF - I rather hoped you'd be able to suggest some good resources.

filminco

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2014, 08:19:54 pm »
As nice as the ALSJ is, these are not all the videos and I would not be sure about the quality standards.

If you want the "originals", you will have to go and request them at JSC.  I do not know how much that costs.  I would think to request every film might not be free.

These are at the NASA Johnson Space Center Video Repository.....

I assume this is the link  http://stic.jsc.nasa.gov/collections/video   but it doesnt work for me with any browser. got it from this page  http://www.hq.nasa.gov/office/hqlibrary/find/videos.htm

I looked at spacecraft films as a resource but reviews say people have nightmares waiting for delivery, even years after paying. I guess that's why they go for much more on Ebay. Frustrated... Didn't think it would be this difficult to get original source material on something of such immense historical importance.

JFincannon

• IOTW posters
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2014, 05:40:29 pm »
>I assume this is the link  http://stic.jsc.nasa.gov/collections/video   but it doesnt work for me with any browser. got it from this page  http://www.hq.nasa.gov/office/hqlibrary/find/videos.htm

That link likely only works for NASA IP addresses.  Perhaps that changed since the webpage was created (2012) or perhaps the person who wrote the web page did not know the IP addresses were filtered.

Anyway, it is annoying that there is not a more publicly available database of film/video available for ordering.  It is not too surprising that a number of NASA websites are filtered since there are too many internet security threats out there.

I looked into the Media Research Center @ JSC some more and found
http://nasawatch.com/archives/2014/10/jsc-is-abandoni.html
So perhaps the email contact I provided you won't work!

I will check for a more recent method.

>I looked at spacecraft films as a resource but reviews say people have nightmares waiting for delivery, even years after paying. I guess that's why they go for much more on Ebay. Frustrated... Didn't think it would be this difficult to get original source material on something of such immense historical importance.

Didn't realize this.  I had ordered and gotten all of them, but that was 5 years ago.

filminco

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2014, 10:33:08 pm »
Again, thank you for the response JF. The other links on the page work, just not the video repository. frustrating.