Author Topic: Quiz error  (Read 5621 times)

Bill Shroyer

Quiz error
« on: December 30, 2010, 11:57:07 am »
I'm not sure what happened, but I clicked the "Take a quiz" icon - it gave me a question, I clicked the answer and then it promptly disappeared. >poof!< Gone. Nothing. No explanation, no "Right" or "Wrong" - very weird. :-?

No reply needed, just thought I'd let someone know in case others experienced a similar issue.

I was really looking forward to a good quiz, too. (Yes I, like many here, I'm sure, am that kind of geek. ;-) )

jules

• Global Moderator
Re: Quiz error
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2010, 01:21:11 pm »
Welcome to the forum Bill! Glad you found us. The quiz has had it's problems in the past. I've just checked it again and for me the quiz window appears behind the main Moon Zoo interface so I can't even read the question!  I'll let the team know it's not well.

I use Firefox 3.6.6 and Vista. Might help the team if you say what system you use too.

And any kind of geek is most welcome here! ;)
« Last Edit: December 30, 2010, 01:24:10 pm by jules »

Michael Parrish

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2011, 04:11:17 pm »
Hi Bill, Jules.
I'm not sure what happened, but I clicked the "Take a quiz" icon - it gave me a question, I clicked the answer and then it promptly disappeared. >poof!< Gone. Nothing. No explanation, no "Right" or "Wrong" - very weird. :-?
That's pretty bizarre, I don't think that bit of code has changed in ages.  I will say that the response is probably too subtle.  It should show up at the top of your browser's viewport, but just to double check -- what browser are you using?

I've just checked it again and for me the quiz window appears behind the main Moon Zoo interface so I can't even read the question!  I'll let the team know it's not well.
I use Firefox 3.6.6 and Vista. Might help the team if you say what system you use too.
Ouch.  I've got to wonder if it's just a Windows thing since I primarily use Firefox 3.6.x.  I'll go have a look and see if I can't find anything that could be causing trouble.

In the mean time, try clearing your browser's cache/cookies and take a quiz tomorrow.  See if that might help at all.

jules

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2011, 10:20:53 pm »
Thanks Michael. Tried with XP and it works fine. Cleared cache and cookies on Vista and now I've lost the quiz completely. ???

scootwhoman

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2011, 08:12:01 am »
This is an issue which I have noticed also.  If you are not alert, (Be a lert!) the answer can slip by before you know it.  I would think that having the information center screen where the quiz was would be more effective, with a 'close window' check box, or option.  Also, explanations might sometimes be appropriate, such as why the oldest material is distributed the way it is around a crater, etc.  Of course, I realize that someone has to write the explanations, but I have been quizzical about some things that I have gotten wrong.

astrostu

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2011, 12:00:51 am »
This is an issue which I have noticed also.  If you are not alert, (Be a lert!) the answer can slip by before you know it.  I would think that having the information center screen where the quiz was would be more effective, with a 'close window' check box, or option.  Also, explanations might sometimes be appropriate, such as why the oldest material is distributed the way it is around a crater, etc.  Of course, I realize that someone has to write the explanations, but I have been quizzical about some things that I have gotten wrong.

I know this can be frustrating - not knowing what the right answer is nor why - but unfortunately (my understanding is) that's a necessity for the purpose of the quiz.  Part of the Moon Zoo team/purpose/goal is to study how people learn and whether use of Moon Zoo and its science pages increases people's understanding of the moon.  I think there are about 25 questions total, and it we provided explanations about what the correct answers are, they could be posted around online and defeat the purpose.  It should at least tell you whether you got it correct or wrong, but that's the reason we don't tell you what the correct answer is.  Now, this wouldn't stop you from asking a related question about the subject of that question on the forum ...

jules

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2011, 03:20:12 pm »
The MZ Quiz only works for me on a machine with XP. Can't get it to work with Vista at all so I probably have a terrible "score" for the quiz as I tried and failed numerous times to fix the problem!! With XP a message flashes up telling me whether the answer was correct or not and several times I have shouted at the PC convinced I am right when told I was wrong and left wanting to know more. ::) However, the questions do crop up again if you keep playing.

astrostu

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2011, 05:55:24 pm »
Ah, okay.  I've now been informed the necessary folks know about this and it is on the list of things to be fixed.

tastiger

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2011, 07:39:50 pm »
Quiz doesn't work for me at all. I use Windows Vista.

astrostu

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2011, 05:27:38 am »
Okay, I've been told that they're working on the quiz but it will likely not be put into effect until we launch the new version of the site hopefully in roughly a month.

tastiger

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2011, 07:12:39 pm »
New version? What are they changing?

jules

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2011, 10:59:45 pm »
I think you'll find it's mainly the forum / chat side that looks different - the classification bit will be much the same. With added images. :)

astrostu

« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2011, 12:31:14 am »
I'm not at liberty to disclose other potential additional or changed features. ;)

In other words, some thigns are a bit up in the air.