Author Topic: Too many points of interest?  (Read 1890 times)

tastiger

Too many points of interest?
« on: April 03, 2011, 06:41:14 pm »
I'm just starting here, but I'm worried whether I'm pointing out things as points of interest when they might not be that important and whether I'm missing some or not. Does more than one person have to point something out for it to be counted, and if not, would I clutter up HQ too much with useless photos?

jules

• Global Moderator
Re: Too many points of interest?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2011, 07:16:06 pm »
Hi tastiger. Welcome to Moon Zoo! Glad you found us. :) (I may have said that already - consider it an extra welcome if so!! ;D ) Don't worry too much about getting the balance right - if the current system isn't working we'd know by now! I think it's better to err on the side of caution and mark anything you see as interesting rather than miss something out. How these are assessed at "HQ" I'm not too sure. Normally I would expect points of interest to be looked at on the basis of how many people have marked them but this runs the risk of missing that one really unusual feature that just one person noticed. If no-one drops by to answer this more fully I'll find out for you. And the really interesting stuff can always be posted on the forum.

astrostu

Re: Too many points of interest?
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2011, 05:44:37 am »
This is something I'll be discussing with the programmers later this week.  My idea is to pull a list of all interesting-noted features on a regular basis (weekly, maybe bi-monthly) and look through them to figure out what's going on.  At the moment, on average, all images have been looked at by about 6 people; some have been examined by up to 20 people.  We'll see what a good cut-off is for number of people per interesting feature.