Author Topic: List of oblique view NAC images  (Read 50779 times)

jules

• Global Moderator
Re: List of oblique view NAC images
« Reply #30 on: April 27, 2011, 11:43:31 am »
Nice one Jules, not wrinkle ridges I hope  :D
:D
M121415248 L&R montage - Rilles near Schrodinger

jumpjack

« Reply #31 on: April 27, 2011, 12:23:39 pm »
Nice one Jules, not wrinkle ridges I hope  :D
:D
M121415248 L&R montage - Rilles near Schrodinger

This is a good place were to look for vertical caves entrances, as we have a lavatube near a hill.

jumpjack

« Reply #32 on: April 27, 2011, 12:34:07 pm »

This is a good place were to look for vertical caves entrances, as we have a lavatube near a hill.
Some questions:
1 - is it possible to find the oblique image showing the part not visible above this image?
2 - is it possible to calculate the maximum mass of a meteorite which can crash on the visible side of the Moon, considering both Earth gravity and Moon gravity?
3 - have all the craters on the visible side been created before moon tidal locking happened?
4 - is attached image correct?

jules

• Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: April 27, 2011, 01:49:33 pm »

Some questions:
1 - is it possible to find the oblique image showing the part not visible above this image?
I've had a look and there's quite a patchwork of images around there. See the attachment below for the NAC references. You'll have to work out which goes where as often the images are inverted or "upside down." You might want to spend some time looking around the coordinates on the WMS site.

IreneAnt

• Science Team
« Reply #34 on: April 28, 2011, 02:18:55 pm »
I posted something about this elsewhere, but thought I should also mention it in this thread.

At the top of the thread, Jules notes that this is the kind of view to expect:

I believe it should look more like this:

jumpjack

« Reply #35 on: April 28, 2011, 03:16:41 pm »
I posted something about this elsewhere, but thought I should also mention it in this thread.

At the top of the thread, Jules notes that this is the kind of view to expect:

I believe it should look more like this:

I think even larger, if it's true that the aspect ratio should be 5:1 ! But images in 5:1 appears very strange, so I don't understand.
By sure the images versions at the top of the thread look very similar to Earth in GoogleEarth with earth exhaggeration set to 3 out of 3!

jumpjack

« Reply #36 on: April 28, 2011, 03:35:36 pm »
Does it exist a page similar to this one, but for LRO images rather than HiRISE?
http://www.planetmobile.it/jumpjack/buchi-marte-dati-completi.txt

It's just an abstract of a complete list of HiRise images I found years ago... but can't remember where.

If such a file did exist, I could write a script to automatically extract IDs of all oblique images and build up a coverage map.

JFincannon

• IOTW posters
« Reply #37 on: April 28, 2011, 03:40:01 pm »
IreneAnt,
Would the correction actually be to apply the pixel resolution ratio (Width/Height) TIMES the cosine (slew angle *pi/180)?  So with 0 slew (looking down), the cosine factor is 1.0.  But with 75 degrees slew the factor to apply goes to 0.259!  This makes a big difference!

jumpjack

« Reply #38 on: April 28, 2011, 03:40:30 pm »
Does it exist a page similar to this one, but for LRO images rather than HiRISE?
http://www.planetmobile.it/jumpjack/buchi-marte-dati-completi.txt

It's just an abstract of a complete list of HiRise images I found years ago... but can't remember where.

If such a file did exist, I could write a script to automatically extract IDs of all oblique images and build up a coverage map.
Ok, I found original source:
http://hirise-pds.lpl.arizona.edu/PDS/INDEX/

Anything similar available for LRO?

jules

• Global Moderator
« Reply #39 on: April 28, 2011, 08:46:45 pm »
IreneAnt,
Would the correction actually be to apply the pixel resolution ratio (Width/Height) TIMES the cosine (slew angle *pi/180)?  So with 0 slew (looking down), the cosine factor is 1.0.  But with 75 degrees slew the factor to apply goes to 0.259!  This makes a big difference!

Thanks for stepping in Irene. Once we have established the correct ratio I'll adjust the pictures I posted. This information must be available somewhere surely? I have looked but not found anything yet.

Just seen this! news.com.au
« Last Edit: April 28, 2011, 08:59:43 pm by jules »

IreneAnt

• Science Team
« Reply #40 on: April 29, 2011, 12:37:00 am »
IreneAnt,

Hi JFincannon,
Your calculation makes complete sense, but the resulting stretch still doesn't look right. I can't figure it out. Even the "Scaled Pixel Width/Height" from the data header details don't produce an image that looks right to me. I am starting to wonder if I am wrong? Maybe Astrostu could ask someone on the LROC science team to clarify this for us? I will PM him.

Thomas J

• Global Moderator
  • Do the best you can, while you can
« Reply #41 on: April 29, 2011, 08:16:41 am »

[/quote]
Just seen this! news.com.au
[/quote]

Great to see this work is getting noticed. Thanks for the news link, Jules

jules

• Global Moderator
« Reply #42 on: April 29, 2011, 09:19:43 am »
I've been trying to fathom out the ratio used in the image associated with this article on Aitken Crater but the NAC ref M149411565LE doesn't bring anything up in WMS.

JFincannon

• IOTW posters
« Reply #43 on: April 29, 2011, 01:25:01 pm »
"Great to see this work is getting noticed. Thanks for the news link, Jules "

Well, I guess it is always nice to get publicity, but in this case, without having the right conversion factors, it is somewhat embarrassing to me.  So, do I go back and modify all my postings to get the latest conversion factor applied to each image or do I repost them, thus have two versions floating around?  The first is bad because people would have commented on images that they really did not see (only the incompletely converted ones).  The second may just mean we have alot of images (maybe not a problem).  Opinions?

JFincannon

• IOTW posters
« Reply #44 on: April 29, 2011, 01:50:53 pm »
"I've been trying to fathom out the ratio used in the image associated with this article on Aitken Crater but the NAC ref M149411565LE doesn't bring anything up in WMS. "

Yes, we have to wait for the next batch for that one.  But they had an earlier image:
http://lroc.sese.asu.edu/news/index.php?/archives/111-Commissioning-Sequences-Pave-the-Way.html
It shows M106797147LE.tif

My conversion method doesn't seem to work for it. :-[  I guess I must wait for the experts to chime in.