Author Topic: Great White Whale!  (Read 3829 times)

Geoff

• Global Moderator
  • The history of astronomy is a history of receding horizons. - Hubble.
    • View Profile
Great White Whale!
« on: May 23, 2011, 07:30:45 am »
The following image of a ‘whale’ was posted by Moon Zoo user Tom128 on 9th December 2010 in the TLP Project - Ina-like Features thread.
It is located south-east of Maclear crater at approximate coordinates 9.26 N, 21.5 E.

from strip: M111456730LE

Tom theorised that the region surrounding the ‘whale’ has a thin, brittle coating of lava that flowed over a harder surface and is now easily broken by impacts. There are areas around the ‘whale’ that appear to show broken regolith - see the TLP Project link above for images.

I think the ‘whale’ formation shows similarities to the Hyginus crater formations and could be an irregular sunken depression. The following image shows some of the formations from Hyginus crater. See TLP Project - Notched Cavities in Lava for more details.

Hyginus Crater floor - zoomed out.  Strip: M104476560LC

We humans are pattern matching animals; we find patterns in nature and in our environment and are specially good at finding faces in mundane objects, e.g. the face of mother Teresa in a piece of toast or a dragon in the clouds. This is known as Pareidolia and/or Apophenia.

If you look carefully at the first image above, you can see that the whale has swallowed a dog! (Hopefully not Eric! ((an inside joke))).

Below the whale I found a butterfly (or maybe a fairy!)

Strip:  M142123174RC

The Bad Astronomy blog (written by Phil Plait) has an excellent article on pareidolia, sparked by Phil Plait finding an image of Lenin on his shower curtain one morning: Image of Lenin

If you find an image that looks like a face, animal, plant or anything interesting, you can post it in the Pareidolia - seeing what isn’t there topic.

jules

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Great White Whale!
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2011, 06:08:54 pm »
 ;D ;D
Made me smile on a Monday morning!

Tom128

• IOTW posters
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2011, 09:40:16 pm »
Great article Geoff!  Seeing that poor pooch swallowed by the whale we now know that it is a white Lunar Orca  :)

Thomas J

• Global Moderator
  • Do the best you can, while you can
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2011, 09:25:00 am »
It's great to see these shapes on the moon, (it reminds me of the Twitter whale) but looking deeper as you have, there are many interesting things to be learned from 'Ina like features' such as these.

Thanks Geoff.

HannahLvsIzzy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2011, 10:49:37 am »
I love the Whale! Wow!

davomills

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2012, 11:44:26 am »
The Whale is amazing - it is the first time I ever see it like this. Tremendously shot and incredibly beautiful! I have a shot of some outdoor plants somewhere on my computer - I have to find it so I can post it to the Pareidolia - seeing what isn’t there topic. :) I am kind of a mess with pictures on my Mac but I swear I am going to find them for you! :D

kodemunkey

• IOTW posters
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2012, 03:05:22 pm »
Holy cow Geoff, even nature references Hitchhikers guide to the galaxy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h02a2HSB58M&feature=related