Author Topic: Moon Zoo Website/Interface Requests  (Read 2962 times)

Sylverone

Moon Zoo Website/Interface Requests
« on: January 17, 2012, 12:28:56 pm »
"My Moon Zoo" lacks a handy feature which Galaxy Zoo has; the ability to take an image from the "recents" and make it a favorite after you have classified it. Also, the complementary ability to remove an image from your favorites. Being a newb, I didn't think to favorite a site that seemed to have a potential crater chain, although I would like to do so now.

For the "Moon Zoo" application interface, I would like to request that a button be added to display/hide the keyboard shortcuts. This button could go somewhere in the "Examples" space to the right and wouldn't waste any space. This way, the effectiveness of users who don't visit the forum could be increased slightly.

Thanks for reading.  :)

EDIT: Also, why is there no indicators for the lighting direction in "Boulder Wars"? I'm not sure if I'll need it, just curious.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2012, 02:20:18 pm by Sylverone »

jules

• Global Moderator
Re: Moon Zoo Website/Interface Requests
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2012, 04:13:47 pm »
"My Moon Zoo" lacks a handy feature which Galaxy Zoo has; the ability to take an image from the "recents" and make it a favorite after you have classified it. Also, the complementary ability to remove an image from your favorites. Being a newb, I didn't think to favorite a site that seemed to have a potential crater chain, although I would like to do so now.

This has been raised before and I'm sure it's still planned for a future release.
For the "Moon Zoo" application interface, I would like to request that a button be added to display/hide the keyboard shortcuts. This button could go somewhere in the "Examples" space to the right and wouldn't waste any space. This way, the effectiveness of users who don't visit the forum could be increased slightly.

Thanks for reading.  :)
Thanks for the suggestion - I'll pass it on.
EDIT: Also, why is there no indicators for the lighting direction in "Boulder Wars"? I'm not sure if I'll need it, just curious.

I honestly can't remember the reason why there isn't an illumination guide - but I've never needed it for Boulder Wars either!

And welcome to Moon Zoo! :)

Sylverone

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2012, 08:45:27 am »
Further suggestions.

It would be really cool if the user could see a number representing how many users have previously seen the image s/he just characterize. It should be displayed in the "More Information" page for a site, to prevent bias (If someone knew their image had been categorized before, they might be tempted to check the forum and just copy what someone else did). I'm sure that metric is stored somewhere, right? I'm going to suggest this feature for Galaxy Zoo as well.

If a user is the first to characterize an image, it would be excellent if they got a little red text somewhere in the application window saying, "You are the first person to annotate this site!" or something equally exciting. This would be like a little "reward" that would pop up every now and then. Once again, same thing for Galaxy Zoo. I got the idea from Solar Stormwatch (I'm checking out all of the Zooniverse projects).

As I said elsewhere (but I think here is a better place to formally suggest it); It seems like a "No Craters or Features" button and a "Blank or Glitched Image" button would really make sense as features. This would encourage people to treat such images correctly rather than pushing themselves to find (and worse, mark) features that aren't there. It would tell them "there are featureless images and blank/glitched images, use this feature to mark them and move on."

;)

jules

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2012, 11:55:03 am »
Thanks for the suggestions - I'll certainly point the team to this thread.

JJ

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2012, 04:26:28 am »
I am new and was wondering how to make recommendations for additions to the software on the next version update.

Geoff

• Global Moderator
  • The history of astronomy is a history of receding horizons. - Hubble.
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2012, 08:51:11 am »
Hi Jason and welcome to Moon Zoo.

If you post any recommendations to this thread we will pass them onto the technical team for their review.

JJ

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2012, 07:42:31 pm »
The following are some of my suggestions. I find that if these were added I would be less prone to become bored with the process of marking and would feel more involved.

Rather than the bouldery button maybe have a crater features button where you can add the features also in one list, so one button can acomplish all the crater features.

On the my zoo screen have a total for images marked, its kind of difficult to try and count the list manually.

Also add information for things like total images marked, craters marked.

A way to angle features like you can angle craters.

For the current image information like image location, scale, avg craters maked, number of people who marked the image, current craters marked.

Ability to choose location or random.

A skip button.

Boulder marker for boulders that are rather large.

Favorite feature for boulder wars.

My Moon Zoo does not seem to coincide with the total number of images marked with the actual markings shown, for some reason it seems like a lot are missing, so a total field would come in handy..

These are just some things that I have noticed in my short time of using and I think my boredom level would drop dramatically if these features were added so I would feel like using it more. The more information that is available to me and options that I have the more involved I become and I think that other users would increase.

Maybe create a survey with suggestions and incorporate the largest item requests, this would give the developers a good idea on what to work on and increase usage to increase data gathering.

Geoff

• Global Moderator
  • The history of astronomy is a history of receding horizons. - Hubble.
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2012, 07:58:23 am »
Thanks for your suggestions Jason - I will forward these on to the developers.

If you want to know how many images you have marked there is a Facebook 'Moon Zoo' app which shows this.

jules

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2012, 12:41:22 pm »
Or you can look here - you'll need to sign in. There are plans to update Moon Zoo later this year and we can pass on any suggestions to the developers as Geoff says. Welcome to Moon Zoo Jason! Glad you found us.